Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August 15th - Trail Running

As part of my preparation for the Tough Mudder in February, I'm trying to do at least one trail run per week.  This week it just so happened that Monday was that day, so after work I quickly changed out of my work clothes, into my Vibrams, and hit the dirt.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=204346856542915835114.0004aaabdd347e2055e79


View Weir Canyon Loop Run in a larger map



I love Weir Canyon Loop because this trail's got a good variety of hills, valleys, some ecosystem changes, lots of wildlife, and yet it's just a short drive from the city.  It's a fairly easy 3.6 mile loop with elevation changes from about 900 ft to around 1200 ft in a series of constant dips and climbs.

I wasn't going for speed, in fact I took it pretty easy.  I'm still in the break-in phase of my new shoes, and the muscles of my feet and lower legs are still learning to compensate for the more barefoot style gait.  Even so I turned in a decent time, right around  4.6 miles per hour, totaling 47 minutes for a 3.6 mile run.

I prefer trail running to any other sort.  Treadmills are mind numbing and running on roads or tracks is about the most boring thing I can imagine.  Trail running by comparison is a mini-adventure with constantly changing terrain, random wildlife (mountain lions have been seen in this area), and constant new challenges forcing your muscles to adapt.

Trail running of course comes with it's own set of unique challenges too.  Obviously you're more likely to be alone, and so any injury is going to be more serious.  Make sure someone knows where you are going, and when to expect you back.  Make sure they know to come look for you if you don't make it back by an agreed upon time.  Be aware of local wildlife (the aforementioned mountain lions).  It's unlikely you'll encounter anything dangerous, but know how to deal with it if you do.  Predators, rattlesnakes, and africanized bees are all known to be in the Weir Canyon Loop area.  Finally make sure you've got water or are well hydrated.  You won't be stopping at the corner 7-11 for a gatorade after your run.  Bring some with you, and make sure there is more in the car.  Know your body, and learn to listen when it's saying you're pushing too hard.  You want to stretch your limits, not break them with catastrophic results.

No comments:

Post a Comment